Friday, August 21, 2009

You said, look up and look out

Me and you have the weirdest friendship you will ever find.

I consider her one of the best I have. And she considers me as the only best she has. But we're never together. We live completely different lives. She is at a party every single night. And really, every single night.

Rewind back to the first day we met. She came up to me in science class and said she liked my beanie. I was awkward and just laughed. We went to lunch the next day, not even knowing each other, and she told me the reasons she got sent to Eugene. She opened up to me so much that I was intimidated by her. This was before she was friends with people that she hates. When I was the first person she knew. Ever since lunch that day, every day in Biology class was a joke. We sat in the back making fun of the dumb kids in our class and laughing loudly at everything that happened, getting in trouble each time. Copying each others work to pass the class. She told me I was her best friend.

Last night at the fair she texted me and told me to go to the slingshot. I did. She was drunk. She was with corey, who was drunk. Her four other friends stood far away to the side of us in a circle, they were drunk. She was rambling on about a fight at some party she threw. She went on forever, I stood and listened. She couldn't keep her train of thought because she was interrupted by a text message every 20 seconds, or would pull someone over to talk to her every time someone walked by. I asked her if she's really starting to hang around the girl that kicked her ass at the last party we were at together. She goes, "You know the whole thing.. keep your friends close your enemies closer?" I nodded. "Well that's what I have to do." By the time she looked back, her friends had left her. She told me to wait with her. So me and Syd stood there with her for about thirty minutes until she could get a hold of her friends. It was around closing time when we could of been going on the last couple rides before the night was over. But I didn't mind. And I still stayed with her.

She told me, "No matter what, no matter how weird our friendship is, you have to know that you're still my best friend." She said, "I know I'm drunk, but you know, the truth comes out from alcohol." I told her she has different friends now, and I have different friends now, and we haven't even seen each other all summer. She said, "Fuck it. They're not my friends. None of the people I hang out with are. They're just people I get drunk with." She said they're all fucked up. She was telling me all the people she hates that she has to be friends with, because her friends are friends with them. I know she wants free from them, and this town. She told me how she's already accepted into different colleges in Florida. And I'm so happy for her. Her phone rang and she was told to meet at the farris wheel. I walked with her there and she gave me a hug and told me, "Remember what I told you." Said she loved me. And walked away.

Later that night Syd and I walked past her and her group of friends several times. And each time, her and I would see each other and just keep walking, and looking ahead. But I won't forget what she said. And even if we do live in two different worlds, we still have each other through our last year here.

No comments: