Monday, August 17, 2009

Both my shoulders are heavy, from the weight of us both

It really sucks that I'm not trusted to be at the house alone. It was uncomfortable coming home to a complete stranger sleeping in our house last night. And knowing they are there for me. It really sucks that I've been gone for two weeks and when you came home today, you yell your face off about a bra you found in the house, blame it on me, only to find out it was just one of Matthews friends that left it in the bathroom after changing. Instead of asking me how my trip was. Instead of welcoming me home. I mean, you didn't even make eye contact with me when you walked in. And the whole trip, I was really anxious to come home. Not because I wasn't having a good time. But because I wanted to see you again, and didn't like how we left things off.

And tonight you just go off on me about what my plans are. And I mean, what the hell. It's summer. Why are you asking me this, right once I walk in the door. You ask me when am I going to start being productive. You settle down. I say I love you. You shut the door. I just want to know where this anger comes from at times like this. On an August night. At 1:00 in the morning.

"Please don't let this turn into something that it's not
I can only give you everything I've got
I can't be as sorry as you think I should
But I still love you more than anyone else could

All that I keep thinking throughout this whole flight
Is it could take my whole damn life to make this right
This splintered mast I'm holding on won't save me long
Because I know fine well that what I did was wrong

The weight of water,
the way you told me to look past everything I had ever learned.
The final word in the final sentence you ever uttered to me was "Love"

No comments: