Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I love third period

Multicultural studies is by far the best class I've taken so far in high school.

Really. It's so interesting. Today we did this thing called the spirit walk. Where we all stand in one big group and Jose (the teacher) calls out certain things such as "If you play a musical instrument. Step forward" and if the thing he calls out applies to you, you step forward and turn around and look at all of your class.

He called all these different things.
"If you have somebody in your family that's an alcoholic step forward"
"If you've lost somebody important to you"
"If you've been treated with racism"

And then

"If you've ever been mistreated, humiliated, or betrayed by somebody at Sheldon high school. Step forward."

I think everybody except for about five people stepped forward for that one. And to tell you the truth, I don't know if those five people were being honest. Maybe they were. I don't know. Not like it's important.

Then after he ran out of things to call out, Jose asked us if we have any other ideas of things to call out. And a few people named some things, and some people stepped forward. And you just learn a lot about everyone in the class. And it breaks a lot of stereotypes that I've thrown on people in there.

After the spirit walk we all talked about what we thought of it as a class. And it was really interesting to hear what everybody had to say. There's this blind girl named Jessica in our class. And I swear, even though she can't see, she's the happiest person on this planet. Jose asked her what she thought about this activity. And she said

"You just learn a lot about people. And you learn that people put up with the same things that you put up with. And even though I can't see. I could hear and feel everybody walking forward with me when you asked who has been mistreated at Sheldon High School at least ONCE. And it's really nice to know that I'm not alone. Because I've been feeling that a lot lately."

I think Jose's eyes started watering up on that one.

I swear that class is making my views towards everything even stronger.

No comments: